Almost all of the public nurses belonged to 31 years old and above while majority of the private nurses 30 years and below, female, married nurses are highly noticeable in public hospital while majority of the private nurses is single. Public nurses receive greater pay of more than P 15,000 a month compared to that of private nurses. Greater percentage of them did not pursue masteral education and of nurses in the public hospital have been employed for almost ten (10) years are interested as satisfactory while the private nurses have a very satisfactory work values. The private and public nurses possess a very satisfactory clinical performance and communication skills.
The demographic profile on age, number of years in service and work environment has a direct relationship with work values while gender, civil status, monthly income and highest educational attainment were found to have no relationship to work values.
The variable on age, civil status and number of years in service were noted to have no relationship to clinical performance. Age, civil status and number of years in service were noted to have significant relationship to clinical performance. Age, civil status and years in service have a significant relationship to their communication skills.
Lastly, work values has a significant difference to private and pubic nurses while clinical performance and communication skills result to non-significance to the respondents.
Age, civil status and number of years in service are a strong determinant factor in work values, clinical performance and communication skills.
Age and work values significantly differ in private and public hospitals. Younger nurses have high level of work values. Furthermore, work values are associated with their clinical performance and work values differ in public and private hospitals.
The proposed training plan must be utilize by the private and public nurses. Nurses must maintain the very satisfactory rate in their work values, clinical performance and communication skills. Nurse managers must conduct periodic performance evaluation of their staff nurses.
This study determined the level of work values, clinical performance and communication skills of private and public hospital nurses. The findings of which served as a proposed training plan. It specifically sought to find the demographic profile of the respondents and the relationship of their profile towards their work values, clinical performance and communication skills.
1. Baustista, Joy N. Theoretical Foundations of Nursing: A Beginner's Journey into Professional Nursing, 1st edition. Manila: Educational Publishing House, 2009.
2. Daniels, Rick , Wilkins, Frederick , Grendell, Ruth . Fundamentals in Nursing: Nursing Foundations, Vol 1 Singapore: Cengage Learning, 2010.
3. Ellis, Janice R, Hartley, Cecilia L. Nursing in Today's World: Trends, Issues and Management, 8th edition. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, 2004.
4. Kelly, Patricia . Nursing Leadership and Management, 2nd edition. Philippines: Delmar Learning, 2008.
5. Martires, Concepcion R. Human Behavior in Organizations, 3rd edition. Mandaluyong City: National Bookstore, 2008.
6. McEwen, Melanie , Wills, Evelyn M. Theoretical Basis for Nursing, 2nd edition. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, 2007.
7. Potter, Patricia A. Fundamentals of Nursing, 6th Edition Singapore: Mosby Elsevier, 2004.
8. Roussel, Linda . Nursing Management and Leadership, 6th edition. Sudbury, Massachusetts: Jones and Bartleet Publishers, 2006.
9. Hader, R . "More Than Words: Provide a Clear and Concise Mission Statement" Nursing Management. 37(6): 34-38, 2006
10. Haig, KM , Sutton, S , Whittington, J . "The SBARR Technique: Improves Communication, Enhances Patient Safety " Joint Commission's Perpectives on Patient Safety. 5(2): 1-2, 2006
11. Tuck, I , Harris, LH , Baliko, B . "Values expressed in Philosophies of Nursing Services" JONA. 30(4): 180-184, 2000
12. Blanco, Teresita B. Quality of nursing care in public and private hospitals .. Unpublished Masters of Arts in Nursing, Southwestern University. 2009.
13. Rivera, Brython Mark . Level of Core Nursing Values and Effectiveness of Staff Nurses in Sacred Heart Hospitals. Unpublished Masters of Arts ni Nursing, Southwestern University. 2009.
14. Villarin, Chona S. Caring Behaviors of Nurses at Sacred Heart Hospital. Unpublished Research in Nursing, Southwestern University, Cebu City. 2009.