Sheila Jane V. Duhaylungsod
The subject has progressed to an improved health condition. Emotional baggage was released as she was able to express herself. She is now able to smile and socialize with other clients. Her wound is still on its healing process. Puss is not seen although she still feels uncomfortable at times. She is relieved upon knowing the prognosis of her disease and verbalized to follow treatment regiment.
The Modeling and Role-Modeling theory can be used effectively in caring for the client who was a victim of child abuse. The nursing process will guide the health provider in obtaining data from the abused client and plan appropriate interventions. Modeling involves the understanding of the abused client and role-modeling uses the abused client's view of the world developing interventions.
The Health Promotion and Illness for Child Abuse Victims Brochure should be used as an information guide about child abuse and ways to maintain health and prevent illness to an abused client.
Objective and Scope:
This study traced and analyzed the life story of an abused client to identified health promotion and post-operative recovery activities. A brochure will be proposed based on the findings of the study.
1. Basavanthappa, BT . Nursing Theories, ist ed. New Delhi: Jaypee Brothers., 2007.
2. Cowen, PerleSlavik , Moorhead, Sue . Currrent Issues in Nursing, 7th edition. St. Louis, Missouri : Elsevier Health Sciences, 2006.
3. De Chesnay, Mary , Anderson, Barbara . Caring for the Vulnerable: Perspective in Nursing Theory, Practice, and Research, 2nd edition. Sudbury, Mass; Toronto: Jones and Bartlett Publishers, 2008.
4. Dossey, Barbara M, Keegan, Lynn , Guzzetta, Cathie E. HolisticNursing: A Handbook for Practice, 4th edition. Boston: Jones and Bartlett, 2005.
5. Erickson, Helen , Tomlin, E , Swain, Mary Ann . A holistic model. In J.B.George Ed. Nursing Theories: The Base for Professional Nursing Practice, and Research, 2nd edition. New Jersey: Prentice-Hall Publishing., 1983.
6. Frisch, N.C , Frisch, L.E . Two Views of the Nursing Process. In J.B. George Ed. Nursing Theories: The Base for Professional Nursing Practice, 5th edition. New Jersey: Prentice Hall Publishing, 1998.
7. George, Julia B. Nursing Theories: The Base for Professional Nursing Practice, 5th edition. New Jersey: Prentice Hall Publishing., 2001.
8. Hall, Calvin S, Lindsey, Gardner , Campbell, John B. Theories of Personality, 4th edition. New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1998.
9. Lipe, Saundra K, Beasley, Sharon . Critical thinking in nursing: a cognitive skills workbook. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott Williams & Wlikins, 2004.
10. Shives, Louise Rebraca . Basic Concepts of Psychiatric-Mental Health Nursing, 7th edition. Philadelphia,PA: Lippincott WIlliams & Wilkins, 2007.
11. Sitzman, Kathleen , Eichelberger, Lisa Wright . Understanding the Work of Nurse Theorists: A Creative Beginning, 2nd edition. Sudbury, MA: Jones & Bartlett Publishers, 2010.
12. Tomey, Ann Marriner , Alligood, Martha Raile . Nursing Theory: Utilization & Application, 3rd edition. St. Louis, MO: CV Mosby Publishing, Inc, 2004.
13. Tomey, Ann-Marriner , Alligood, Martha Raile . Nursing Theorists and Their Work, 6th edition. ST. Louis, MO: CV Mosby Publishing, Inc, 2006.
14. Wolfe, David A. Child ABuse: Implications for Child Development and Psychology, 2nd edition. Oaks, California: SAGE Publication, Inc., 1999.
15. Doenges, Marilynn E, Moorhouse, Mary Frances , Murr, Alice C. Nurse's Pocket Guide, 12th edition. Philadelphia, Pennsylvannia: FA Davis Company, 2008.
16. Allgower, A , Wardle, J , Steptoe, A . "Depressive symptoms, social support, and personal health behaviors in young men and women. In Kendall-Tackett, K. The Health Effects of Childhood Abuse: Four Pathways by which Abuse Can Influence Health." Family Research Laboratory 6/7, 715-730, 2002
17. Felliti, V.J . "Long-term Medical Consequences of Incest, Rape and Molestation." SOuthern Medical Jounal 84(3): 328-331, 1991
18. Fleming, J , Mullen, P.E , Sibthorpe, B , Bammer, G . "The long-term impact of childhood sexual abuse in Australian women. InKendall-Tacket, K. The Health Effetcs of Childhood Abuse: Four Pathways by which Abuse Can Influence Health." Family Research Laboratory 6/7, 715-730, 1999
19. Kendall-Tacket, Kathleen . "The Health Effetcs of Childhood Abuse: Four Pathways by which Abuse Can Influence Health." Family Research Laboratory 6/7, 715-730, 2002
20. Kendall-Tackett, K.A , Marshall, R . "Victimization and diabetes: An exploratory study. In Kendall-Tackett, K. The Health Effetcs of Childhood Abuse: Four Pathways by which Abuse Can Influenced Health." Family Research Laboratory 6/7, 715-730, 1999
21. Lovallo, W.R . "Stress and health: Biological and psychological interactions. The Health Effetcs of Childhood Abuse: Four Pathways by which Abuse Can Influenced Health." Family Research Laboratory 6/7, 715-730, 1997
22. Rich-Edwards, J.W , Spiegelman, D , Lividoti, E , Hee-Jin, Jun , Todd, T.J , Kawachi, I , Wright, R . "Abuse in Childhood and Adolesence as a Predictor of Type 2 Diabetes in Adult Women." AMerican Journal of Preventive Medicine 39(6): 529-536, 2010
23. Romans, S , Belaise, C , Judy, M , Morris , E , Raffi, A . "Childhood abuse and later medical disorder in women: an epidemiology study." Psychotherapy and Psychosomatics (71): 141-150, 2002
24. Teegen, F . "Childhood sexual abuse and long-term sequele. In Kendall-Tackett, K. The Health Effects of Childhhod Abuse: Four Pathways by which Abuse Can Influence Health." Family Research Laboratory 6/7, 715-730, 1999
25. Thomas, C , Hypponen, E , Power, C . "Obesity and Type 2 Diabetes Risk in Mid-adult Life: The Role of Child Adversity." Pediatrics 121(5): e1240-e124, 2008
26. Del Valle, Alice . Compliance and Severity of Diabetes Complication in Selected Health Care Facilities, Bohol: Improved Educational Program. Master's Thesis: Southwestern University. 2003.
27. Marikit, Mila E. Socio-Cultural Dimensions in Treatment and Compliance of Type 2 Diabetics.. Master's Thesis: Southwestern University. 2009.
28. (2009, November 30). Brigham & Women's Hospital. Child Abuse Associated with Risk of Type 2 Diabetes in Adulthood. Educational Research Quarterly. From HighBeam Reaserch: . http://www.brighamandwomens.org/about_bwh/publicaffairs/news/pressreleases/PressRelease.aspx?PageID=759.
29. (2006, November 30). Child Help Organization. National Child Abuse Statistics. From Child Help Website:. http://www.childhelp,org/pages/statistics#gen-stats, retrieved December 9, 2010.
30. (2006, November 30). Child Welfare Information Gateway. Recognizing Child Abuse and Neglect: Signs and Symptoms. From Child Welfare Information Gateway Website:. http://ww.childwelfare.gov/pubs/factsheets/signs.cfmretrieved on December 13, 2010.
31. Conway, E.E . (1997, November 30). Nonaccidental head injury in infants: The shaken baby syndrome revisited. In Child Welfare Information Gateway. Long-Term Consequences of Child Abuse and Neglect. Retrieved from. http://www.childwelfare.gov/pubs/factsheets/long_term_consequences.cfm on December 13, 2010.
32. (2009, November 30). Department of Social Welfare and Development. Haven-Center for Women. From Department of Social Welfare and Development Field Office VI Website:. http://www..fo7.dswd.gov.ph/index.php?option=com_content & view=article&id=59&Itemid=72.
33. Doble, Richard de Garis . (2005, November 30). Love should not hurt.. http://www.abusivelove.com/contents_AbusiveLove.htm, retrieved on December 13, 2010.
34. Hertz, Judith E. (2006, November 30). Modelling and Role-Modeling Theory: An Introduction.. http://www.mrmnursingtheory.org/overview.htm, retrieved on December 16, 2010.
35. Mersch, Judith E. (2007, November 30). Child Abuse.. http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=8360, retrieved on December 15, 2010.
36. Newton, C.J . (2000, November 30). Child Abuse: An Overview. From Mental Health Journal. http://www.findcounseling.com/journal/child-abuse/sexual-abuse.html retrieved on December 15, 2010.
37. Saisan, J , Smith, M , Segal , J . (2009, November 30). Child Abuse and Neglect: Recognizing child abuse.. http://helpguide.org/mental/child_abuse_physical_emotional_sexual_neglect.htm retrieved on December 15, 2010.
38. (1999, November 30). Tidal Model. Introducing the Tidal Model.. http://www.tidal-model.com/Beginner's%20guide.htm, retrieved on December 17, 2010.
39. (2002, November 30). World Health Organization. Who Definition of Health.. http://www.who.int/about/definition/en/print.html, retrieved on February 9, 2011.