Medical Surgical Nursing
There is a significant relationship between the education and the intraoperative anxiety level of the respondents. This means that lower level of education is associated with higher level of intraoperative anxiety. Postoperatively, the age, gender and civil status is not associated with their post-operative anxiety. There is a significant relationship between education and the post-operative anxiety of the respondents.
Lower level of education is associated with higher level of postoperative anxiety. The relationship of the respondents to the patient is also related to their anxiety level. Sons and daughters are found to have higher level of postoperative anxiety. There is no significant difference in the anxiety level of the respondents before, during and after the operation.
The proposed coping strategy brochure should be utilized by the significant others of the surgical patients.
Objectives and Scope:
This descriptive-correlational research determined the anxiety level of significant others during perioperative phase of their surgical patients. It further determined the relationship between the profile and their anxiety level and compares their anxiety levels before, during and after the operation. This study was conducted at Ormoc District Hospital.
1. Black, Joyce , Hawks, Jane . Medical Surgical Nursing Clinical Management for Positive Outcomes, 7th edition Philadelphia: Elsevier Saunders, 2007.
2. George, Julia B.. Nursing Theories: The Base for Professional Nursing Practice. Fifth edition Singapore: Pearson Education South Asia Pte Ltd., 2008.
3. Gorman, Linda M., Raines, Marcia L., Sultan, Donna F.. Psychosocial Nursing for General Patient Care. 2nd Edition. Philadelphia: F.A. Davis Company, 2002.
4. Ignativicious, Donna D., Workmann, . Medical Surgical Nursing: Critical Thinking for Collaborative Care. 5th edition. Singapore: Saunders Company, 2006.
5. Kozier, Barbara . Fundamentals of Nursing: Concepts, process and practices, 2nd edition. Philippines: Pearson Education, 2004.
6. Octavio, Eufemia , Balita, Carl . Theoretical Foundations of Nursing: The Philippine Perspective. 1th edition. Manila: Ultimate Learning Series Balikatan Prints and Binding Enterprise, 2008.
7. Smeltzer, Suzanne , Bare, Brenda G.. Medical-Surgical Nursing. 11th edition. Lippincott, Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer Company, 2008.
8. Tomey, Marriner A., Alligood, Martha . Nursing Theorist and their Work. 5th edition. Philadelphia: Mosby, Inc., 2002.
9. Kloss, Janet A.. "Effect of a Family-Maintained Progress" Journal on Anxiety of Families of Critically Ill Patients. Critical Care Nursing Anxiety Quarterly 31(2): 2008
10. Sharift, Farkhondeh , Sara, Masoumi . "A Qualitative Study of Nursing Student Experiencing of Clinical Practice. Psychiatric Nursing Department, Fatemeh (P.B.U.H.) College of Nursing & Midwifery Shiraz University of Medical Sciences." Clinical Nursing Research. 2(3): 2005
11. MacLaren, Jill , Kain, Zeev . "A Comparison of Preoperative Anxiety in Female Patients with Mothers of Children Undergoing Surgery." Applied Nursing Research. , 1992
12. Priesler, Jean . "Exploration Anxiety among first year nursing student nursing Department, Gustavus Adolphus College, 800 West Ave., St. Peter, MN 56082" Clinical Nursing Research. 2(3): 2000
13. Simpson, Thomas . "The family as a source of support for the critically ill adult." Clinical Issues Critical Care Nursing. 2, 2001
14. Bentol, Kimberly . "The level of Anxiety of Terminally ill patients at Vicente Sotto Memorial Medical Center". Unpublished Master Thesis in Nursing, University of the Visayas, Cebu City. 2000.
15. Ocampo, Lilibeth . Coping strategies of staff nurses in dealing with terminally ill patients. University of Cebu. 2002.
16. Pardillo, Rechelle . Level of Depression and anxiety among cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy at Vicente Sotto Memorial Medical Center. Southwestern University.. 2009.
17. Tan, Joy Recamadas. Level of pain and assessment tools of postoperative patients. Southwestern University. 2008.
18. Venice, Kurt . "Reactions of patients Cancer cases at Vicente Sotto Memorial Medical Center". Southwestern University. 2001.
19. Janolino, Nino A.. "Effects of Music Therapy on the Level of Pain on Post-operative Patients". Unpublished Master Thesis in Nursing, Southwestern University, Cebu City. 2009.
20. Omagac, Ronald . Preoperative Teachings of Surgical Patients. Southwestern University Master of Arts in Nursing. 2008.
21. Halm, Math . (2004, November 30). Support and reassurance needs of HIV patients: strategies for practice.
22. Kleiber, Hart M.. (1999, November 30). Emotional responses of family members during a critical care hospitalization . www.//surgery.about.com.
23. Leske, Jane Stover. (2001, November 30). Interventions to Decrease Family Anxiety. Protocols for Practice Applying Research at the Bedside. http://ccn.aacnjournals.org .
24. Leske, Jane Stover. (2001, November 30). Anxiety of electric surgical patients' family members. Relationship between anxiety levels, family characteristics. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov .
25. Lowe, Patricia . (2002, November 30). Does relationship between gender and anxiety exist?.
26. Mirza, Ilyas . (2003, November 30). Risk factors, prevalence, and treatment of anxiety and depressive disorders in Pakistan: systematic review. http://www.pubmedical.nih.gov.
27. Roman, Lindsay . (2002, November 30). Parent-to-paraent support initiated in the neonatal intensive care unit. www.macses.ucsf.edu .
28. (). Nursing Theorist and their Works. www.currentnursing.com .